Friday, August 16, 2013

Thanks and Congrats...Wanna Sketch #7

Friday already...and *heading home* scheduled for Sunday is coming ever closer. We'll not chat about that right now!

Thursday, my brother and I were helpers with my niece's daycare...ooops, I meant "school"...group (14) on a field trip to a spray park. First time experience for me: what a blast!!  All kinds of fountains, buckets, and other gizmos spraying everything from fine mists, to sprinkles, to full-on pail-laden spills for kids to run through, stand on and stand under. It's a place designed for squeals and giggles galore! Here's a couple
photos...
      

My niece, however, was not particularly enamoured with the water, which really was quite cold, so she and I (her "Aunty, hold me" which translates as "Aunty carry me" down pat. No resistance on my part!) scooched under sprays that offered little more than teensy weensy sprinkles, and pretty much kept relatively dry!  The highlight for her: opportunity to play on the awesome playground contraption after lunch.  She may not like cold water being splashed at her, but when it comes to climbing things, she's an adventurer!!

After 'school,' my sister-in-law dropped them off at my folks' place; another fabulous evening! My niece has learned how to cut dies on my cuttlebug (she calls it 'the bugger machine), so we made a batch of polkadot circles.  Stamping was next on the 'do' list - robots specifically (from one of my TAWS sets) - and when I showed her my collection (okay...9) of dewdrop inks, she was delighted!  Ink on the stamp; ink on her.  It was all way toooo much fun.  And then I showed her how we could use the ink to paint...Yes, I'm doing my best to cultivate a love for crafting in her!

Card-making has been on the back-burner, as you can imagine, but I had some time a couple days back to play.  Two cards to share with layout inspiration coming from the talented Lisa Arana's Wanna Sketch #7. 

Card 1: The weather has been gorgeous here, but the tell-tale signs of fall's approach are revealing themselves: cooler evenings, leaves changing colour, the little 'nip' in the morning air.  I was inspired to create a 'fall-ish' card, using one of my favourite papers Simple Stories Harvest Lane and my tag dies from My Creative Time.

Nothing fancy...I let the pretty paper do the talking...

Card 2:  My BoBunny paper (as well as several others from different lines) has a couple sheets that look like this: building thumband I'm often at a loss as to how to showcase all the charming elements in each square.  Recommendations greatly appreciated!!  Venturing out on a limb, I did some 'figurin' and reckoning' - my PS square Word Bubble die was 'mighty close' to the same size as the squares.  Die cut a few with a 'love' theme, add a couple of hearts, place them on a frame die, include a 'congratulations' sentiment and a 'non-traditional' wedding or anniversary card results.  The frame is 'sort of' tag-ish (I know, it's a stretch), so I'll include it as my 'second' entry to Lisa's wanna sketch invitation.

A bit busy, but it was fun to play with the paper's elements...

Major family time planned for the next few days...and being an official at a bike race tomorrow.  My mom's going to come with me: yayyyyyy!!!

Thanks so much for dropping by; please let me know you did! Your comments add sparkle to my day!!




9 comments:

Lisa Arana said...

Carol, I'm so excited you played along with wanna sketch. LOVE your play with patterns and that darling tag on your card. I also love the fun play with elements on the second card too.

Happy Dance said...

Sounds like you've been having just too much fun with the kiddos. I'm going to have time with Kelly for 8/9 days and plan to enjoy every minute. Cards are great, as usual, Carol. I like how the second one works with its different patterns! Bev

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Oh Carol! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE visiting your blog! I love your stories-- I can totally see you playing with the kids and crafting:) YOU are AWESOME!!!!!!!

I LOVE that first card-- the papers are soooooo beautiful! I LOVE how you've added the die cut word on top of the tag! I LOVE it! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card- probably one of my favs!

Now on to the second card... I love this one too! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the papers (OH MY! I must get that pad)!!! And I LOVE the frames... I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this one... maybe this is my new fav! Or both cards can be my fav today:)

THANKS so much for all of your love and comments-- I know I'm struggling to catch up! I might just start fresh next week and start commenting from there! I hope you don't mind-- I really want to give you love and encouragement like you give me!! I'm always so thankful to hear from you <3 You def. brighten my day!!!

Joyce said...

These cards are both seriously fabulous. And, I have never heard of that sketch challenge, and now I want to check it out and play. Great use of patterned papers her all around.

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Sounds like you are having a ton of fun, which is good. Wonderful cards too!

Shannon J said...

Gah!!! Awesome cards, Carol!!! And you KNOW if you've got Savannah's huge stamp of approval, you have hit a home run (actually TWO home runs!!). Totally, completely, fabulously awesome!
Can't believe your time in Edmonton is almost done :( But I know you have made the most of EVERY moment while you have been there! Such a fabulous time for family time and snuggles! And more snuggles to come when you get to see your sweet hubby in just a few more days!!! xoxo

Kylie said...

My goodness, hasn't that time flown by. I'm sad for you all that it has almost come to an end but know that you have well and truly made the most of every moment.

Both of your cards are gorgeous! I love how you have used the wonderful patterned paper in the first (that is something which is not my forte so I very much envy your gift!). The second one is as beautiful as the first - and once again your use of patterned paper is fantastic!

You're so inspiring! We need to have a card making day! :)

Greta said...

You are so creative & make wonderful use of your papers, dies & sketches! Love your cards, Carol! I can just imagine what fun you're having--the splash park sounds like a blast, but I'd be with you & your niece wanting only the tiny sprays. Enjoy the rest of your time & have a safe trip home. (PS--Congrats on winning some sequins from N&T! I told them to give my prize away since I can't really justify purchasing 4 bags of something I use so little--but it was fun to see my name get picked for something.)

~amy~ said...

What a nice auntie you are!

GREAT cards...love them both! Awesome layering and details!